Monday, October 17, 2011

CureSearch for Children's Cancer

Cancer entered my family's life at the end of my seventh grade year, in April 2000. I had been experiencing significant back pain for several months, and was diagnosed with pre-cursor B cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoblastic Lymphoma-stage III.

Luckily, the tumor had grown into a nerve and this is why my back pain was so intense. If it hadn't grown into a nerve, we might not have found it in time.

I began a chemotherapy protocol on April 21, 2000. My treatment lasted for two years, and during that time I experienced a multitude of physical, mental and emotional side effects like so many cancer patients do. I am so, so grateful to all of my doctors, nurses, family and friends, and so many others who helped me and prayed for me throughout my cancer battle.

I now serve as a team leader for CureSearch. As a childhood cancer survivor, I know the importance of using my voice as much as possible to be heard. I am passionate about childhood cancer research and advocacy -- and having gone through and survived the disease, I feel it's my duty to speak for those who've sadly lost their fight. It's not fair and it will never be justified for just one child to lose their life to this terrible disease. I cannot say enough about CureSearch's leaders and dedicated volunteers who help childhood cancer survivors like me to eliminate cancer.

--Caroline S. Hale
Project Coordinator, Pediatric Services Development

You can access the website at http://www.curesearch.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment