Monday, October 11, 2010

The Adopt-a-Native Elder Program

I have the opportunity to work in the same Division as Masuda Medcalf . She has a kind heart and never hesitates if there is an opportunity to help those in need. Her energy and enthusiasm about helping others is contagious. One organization is especially close to her heart, Adopt-a-Native Elder Program (ANE). I hope you find it inspiring to read what Masuda writes about the program, volunteering, and her involvement in ANE. 


Adopt-A-Native-Elder

I attended my first Navajo Rug Show eleven years ago when some friends of mine who were volunteers invited me to the opening night of the Show.  As I walked into those rooms, I felt this spiritual presence and sense of peace among the Navajo Elders and the ANE volunteers that I cannot begin to explain.  I signed up to volunteer that night.  Today, I still feel that way whenever I work with ANE volunteers and when I am with the Elders; I think it is the feeling of knowing I am helping very peaceful and humble people.  I have also made some very rewarding friendships with other volunteers from all over the World, which keeps me coming back.

ANE takes food, clothing, simple medicines, blankets, water, firewood, etc. to the Navajo Reservation to support the Elders so they live on the Land in their traditional lifestyle.  It is done mostly through donors who "adopt" an Elder on the Reservation, which means they agree to pay $75 in the Spring and $75 in the Fall to ANE for food that volunteers deliver to the Reservation on food runs.  My kids and I have boxed foods at the warehouse located at 328 W Gregson (about 3200 S) before each Spring and Fall Food Run. 
The ANE warehouse holds volunteer hours on Tues and Friday mornings.  I go there on Fridays and volunteer with other jobs, including office work, boxing medical boxes, making blankets and quilts for the Elders, etc. 
Each January we begin planning for the big Navajo Rug Show at Deer Valley held in November - it's the highlight of the year for me:  http://anelder.org/i/5706Poster2010Cropped(Low).pdf.  This year's theme is Weaving World Peace, and as you will see from the poster link, the Elders' rugs indicate their own interpretation of how to weave World Peace.  The Show will be held November 12-14th at Snow Park Lodge.

 

 The Navajo Elders arrive on the Wed before the Rug Show; the ANE volunteers help them set up their rugs and jewelry at the Lodge, and in the evening cook a meal for them.  On Thursday Nov 11, and Friday morning November 12th, the Elders and ANE volunteers have school programs, where local schools bring their students for field trips, learning about Navajo culture, music, dance, etc.  Thursday afternoon ANE holds a Grandma Party and in the process gives them things they need at home on the Reservation.  This year, we made quilts for the 40 Elders who will attend the Grandma Party, so my friends and I have been very busy quilting. 
Friday November 12th at 6 pm is the grand opening; refreshments are catered for the event and all rug and jewelry sales are 10% off.  There will be entertainment followed by a live auction of World Peace rugs and other packages.  Saturday events include the Crowning of the Navajo Little Princess, Grandmother Weaving Demonstration and Grandma Idol Contest.  Sunday is the Flag and Veterans Ceremony, followed by a Weaving Demonstration and a Pow-Wow.  The Veterans Ceremony is very touching; Sam Tsosie, one of the original code talkers has been a part of that ceremony for the last few years.



We also started the Warming Hearts Firewood Program this year to help the Elders with badly needed firewood.  Many Elders on the Navajo Reservation still live in hogans and use firewood not only to warm their homes but also for cooking.  The program started with the efforts of celebrity spokesperson Jay Tavare (jaytavare.com), who has been in several movies including Cold Mountain, Into the West, Pathfinder, Adaptation, The Missing, etc.  Jay attends the Rug Show each year and has been bringing supporters to Utah who also volunteer their time.




 ANE is always looking for volunteers.  If you would like to volunteer at the Rug Show or year round, please let me know and I will put you in touch with the right people at ANE.

Website:  http://anelder.org/
2011 Charity Code: 1002 

No comments:

Post a Comment